- This event has passed.
Dane County Chapter – Prairie Weeding, Shrub Cutting
August 8, 2020 @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Join us to remove re-invading shrubs from our prairies and oak savannas while enjoying the summer blooming wildflowers in our Milennium Prairie full of yellow and rose blooms. We will also herbicide quaking aspen clones.
Where: Holmes Preserve portion of Table Bluff on Table Bluff Road.
Volunteers in Parks and COVID-19 Safety Information:
- Please complete this COVID-19 OF-301A Fillable Form. The National Park Service (NPS) requires every volunteer to complete a COVID-19 OF-301A Volunteer Service Agreement, whether you are a new IATA volunteer or a returning volunteer who has not yet filled out the post-March 24, 2020 version of this form.
- Please email the completed form to Dan Watson, NPS Volunteer Coordinator, ([email protected]). Dan will reply to you with a signed copy of the form.
Please read through these documents as they provide additional safety guidelines:
- A Cover Letter from Eric Gabriel, Superintendent [PDF]
- IATR-VIP Risk Assessment Tool [PDF]
- Covid19Job Hazard Analysis (JHA) [PDF]
What to expect/what to bring/what to wear:
- We will have a physically-distanced, COVID-aware work site. >10 ft. spacing between participants is expected.
- All hand tools will be provided.
- We will have backpack sprayers.
- Brush cutters would be appreciated.
- Bring your own 5-gallon bucket to collect ripe invasive-plant seeds
- Note: It is mosquito & tick season and there is poison ivy on the work site. (We can assign you to a trail section that lacks known poison ivy – if this is important, request it.)
- If rain is threatening, we typically still work. But, if the work day is postponed because of bad weather, the event leaders will email you.
Please dress for trail-building:
- boots preferred; closed-toe shoes and socks required
- long pants
- long or short-sleeved shirt (bring both)
- leather work gloves
- hat (optional)
- leather work gloves
- face mask (have it available if needed)
- drinking water (minimum of 1 liter)
- hand sanitizer
- morning snack
- lunch if you’re planning to stay past noon