- This event has passed.
Dane County Chapter – Savanna Shrub Clearing
August 9 @ 9:00 am - 1:30 pm
Join us to clear brush out of the “center ravine.” As we were unable to burn this year, many overgrown dogwood, sumac, and honeysuckle are encroaching on this portion of the woods. We will use hand tools and brush cutters and herbicide to remove them.
Where: Prairie Moraine County Park, Wesner Road, in the dog-park area.
Volunteers in Parks and COVID-19 Safety Information:
- Please complete this COVID-19 OF-301A Fillable Form. The National Park Service (NPS) requires every volunteer to complete a COVID-19 OF-301A Volunteer Service Agreement, whether you are a new IATA volunteer or a returning volunteer who has not yet filled out the post-March 24, 2020 version of this form.
- Please email the completed form to Dan Watson, NPS Volunteer Coordinator, ([email protected]). Dan will reply to you with a signed copy of the form.
Please read through these documents as they provide additional safety guidelines:
- A Cover Letter from Eric Gabriel, Superintendent [PDF]
- IATR-VIP Risk Assessment Tool [PDF]
- Covid19Job Hazard Analysis (JHA) [PDF]
What to expect/what to bring/what to wear:
- We will have a physically-distanced, COVID-aware work site. >10 ft. spacing between participants is expected.
- All hand tools will be provided.
- Herbicide bottles will be provided.
- Note: It is mosquito & tick season and there is poison ivy on the work site. (We can assign you to a trail section that lacks known poison ivy – if this is important, request it.)
- If rain is threatening, we typically still work. But, if the work day is postponed because of bad weather, the event leaders will email you.
- Hot weather means you should have plenty of fluids along with you.
Please dress for trail-building:
- boots preferred; closed-toe shoes and socks required
- long pants
- long or short-sleeved shirt (bring both)
- leather work gloves
- hat (optional)
- leather work gloves
- face mask (have it available for our introductory remarks)
- drinking water (minimum of 1 liter)
- hand sanitizer
- morning snack
- lunch if you’re planning to stay past noon