- This event has passed.
Member Event: Weeding and Wine Stewardship Event at Mammoth’s Back Preserve (NEW LOCATION)
July 20 @ 5:30 pm - 8:00 pm
UPDATE: This event will be held at Mammoth’s Back Preserve, Cross Plains Segment (Dane County).
Join the Ice Age Trail Alliance at a special, members only Weeding and Wine event at the Alliance-owned Swamplovers Preserve! This event is a fun way to learn more about the Alliance’s Habitat Improvement program, support the native wildflowers, and increase habitat for critical pollinators.
Weeding and Wine will take place at the southern end of the Table Bluff Segment on Picnic Hill Prairie in the Swamplovers Preserve (Cross Plains/Dane County), one of the most diverse restored dry prairies in the area.
Invasive species are a sad reality for land conservation efforts. They usually lack natural predators that keep them under control in their native ranges, leading to out-competition of native species which decreases high quality habitat for insects, birds, butterflies and other critters. The Picnic Hill Prairie on the Swamplovers Preserve has been well established for years but still needs regular tending to help the native species compete against invasive ones.
The work will include walking carefully through a medium tall prairie full of stunning wildflowers and ‘spot weeding’ invasive plants. We’ll discuss a few target weed species and explain how to identify them. From there, we will split into small groups to start weeding. You’ll have an expert close by to help answer any questions and help identify what stays and what gets pulled. Enjoy a social and snacks after weeding.
Thursday, July 20, 2023* @ 5:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- 5:30 p.m. Arrive, park at Mammoth’s Back Preserve, Cross Plains Segment (Dane County)
- 6:00 – 6:15 p.m. Welcome – Introductions – Project Overview
- 6:15 – 7:30 p.m. Get your hands dirty! Weeding in the prairie.
- 7:30 – 8:00 p.m. Social and snacks*, self-led hiking, on-your-own picnic
What to Bring:
- Gardening gloves
- Digging tool if you have one
- Close-toed shoes
- Sun hat/sunscreen
- Bug spray
- Long pants, long sleeve shirt (we will be in tall grass)
- Personal drinking water and container
- Picnic or snacks**
- Raingear – we will work in light rain, please check the forecast
*The rain date is Thursday, July 27.
**The Ice Age Trail Alliance will provide light refreshments and snacks (including wine). A porta potty is NOT available onsite.
We love dogs, but we ask that you not bring them to this event. Wooly mammoths are welcome.
Register today! Space is limited.
This event is FREE, but donations are appreciated!
Volunteers in Parks Information:
No experience is necessary and volunteers of all ages are welcome, provided youth attend with an adult chaperone. If you are NEW to volunteering with the Ice Age Trail Alliance, please submit the volunteer agreement before the event, see below for more details.
- Please complete this Volunteer Agreement, OF-301A Fillable Form.
- Please email the completed form to Dan Watson, NPS Volunteer Coordinator, (email@example.com).
- Dan will reply to you with a signed copy of the form.