- This event has passed.
Mobile Skills Crew Trailbuilding Event – Cross Plains Segment, Dane County
August 8 @ 8:00 am - August 12 @ 12:00 pm
Join supporters and staff as we celebrate 60 years of building, stewarding, protecting and promoting the Ice Age National Scenic Trail. Celebrate with us at Ice Age Trail Days in Cross Plains, which is both the headquarters of the Alliance and a designated Ice Age Trail Community focused on increasing awareness of the Ice Age Trail and the mission of the Alliance. If you would like to attend other events during Ice Age Trail Days, click HERE to learn more.
This new-trail construction party in the Village of Cross Plains celebrates community and built-to-last camaraderie. Tread, signage, stonework and trail stewardship zones will be the focus of this shindig!
No previous experience is necessary; training is provided by certified volunteer crew leaders. There will be roles for all ages and abilities. The IATA provides food, tools, and campsites free to all who volunteer.
Your contribution is welcome for any part of the event or the entire project. Work begins on Wednesday, August 8, and concludes Sunday, August 12. Trail construction activities begin each day around 8:00 a.m. and typically wrap up between 4:00 and 5:00 p.m. On Sunday, work ends by noon.
What to Bring:
- We recommend a long-sleeve shirt and pants for trail work.
- Plan for variable weather – bring warm layers and rain gear.
- Sturdy hiking or work boots (no tennis shoes) and leather work gloves.
- Day pack, water bottles, insect repellent, sunscreen and a hat.
- If camping, bring a headlamp, tent, sleeping gear and toiletries.
- Consider bringing a lawn chair; you’ll appreciate having it to relax around the fire in comfortable clothes at the end of the day.
We love dogs, but we ask that you not bring them to this event. Woolly mammoths are welcome.