- This event has passed.
Mobile Skills Crew Trailbuilding Event, Walla Hi Segment, July 2018
July 19, 2018 @ 8:00 am - July 22, 2018 @ 12:00 pm
The new Walla Hi Segment opened for use in 2017 but is a ½ mile shy of the road-to-road connection needed to tag this gem on your thousand-miler list. Help is needed with stonework, boardwalk construction and vegetative management. Registration is capped at 55.
No previous experience is necessary; training is provided by certified volunteer crew leaders. There will be roles for all ages and abilities. The IATA provides food, tools, and campsites free to all who volunteer.
Your contribution is welcome for any part of the event or the entire project. Work begins on Thursday, July 19, and concludes Sunday, July 22. Trail construction activities begin each day around 8:00 a.m. and typically wrap up between 4:00 and 5:00 p.m.
What to Bring:
- We recommend a long-sleeve shirt and pants for trail work.
- Plan for variable weather – bring warm layers and rain gear.
- Sturdy hiking or work boots (no tennis shoes) and leather work gloves.
- Day pack, water bottles, insect repellent, sunscreen and a hat.
- If camping, bring a headlamp, tent, sleeping gear and toiletries.
- Consider bringing a lawn chair; you’ll appreciate having it to relax around the fire in comfortable clothes at the end of the day.
We love dogs, but we ask that you not bring them to this event. Woolly mammoths are welcome.