- This event has passed.
Waupaca/Portage County Hike-a-thon
October 1, 2016 @ 8:30 am - 11:00 am
Hiking the Hartman Creek Segment of the Ice Age National Scenic Trail is a delightful autumn experience featuring the lovely forested and hilly terrain of Hartman Creek State Park. Especially unique to this segment of the Trail is one of the largest erratics (enormous boulders carried by glacial ice, often over hundreds of miles from their original location) on the entire Ice Age Trail.
Experience this piece of Wisconsin beauty by joining the Waupaca and Portage County Chapters for their annual Hike-A-Thon, on Saturday, October 1st, starting at 8:30 a.m. Enjoy a morning hike through the woods and help raise funds for Trail building, maintenance, and education. Come solo, bring a friend, bring your entire family for this welcoming event.
The Hike-A-Thon event headquarters will be at the Hartman Lake Shelter, at the Hartman Creek State Park. Follow the IAT Event signs once inside the Park.
Before your hike:
- Register between 8:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. Participation fee: $5.00 (individual); $15.00 (family).
- Hikers will receive a registration number and a Trail map. Free admission to the Park on hike day.
- Dress for the weather. Sun, rain, and snow!
- Bring a refillable water bottle.
During your hike:
- Respect all plants and animals on the trail. Please leave any natural “finds” for others to discover also.
- Enjoy the solitude of the Trail, the colorful fall leaves, and a morning immersed in nature.
- 4 rest stops will be available during the hike with the option to refill water and grab an apple.
After your hike:
- Return your hiker registration number.
- Check to see if you won a door prize.
- Browse merchandise and educational displays.
- Enjoy refreshments generously provided by local area merchants and volunteers.