Land Steward Job Announcement
The Ice Age Trail Alliance is seeking a Land Steward to assist with or lead the Alliance’s property monitoring and land management efforts.
Organization: Ice Age Trail Alliance
Position: Land Steward
Date Posted: April 5, 2019
Location: Cross Plains, WI
Supervisor: Director of Land Conservation
Duration: Full-time, salaried
Primary Program Area: Land Conservation
Principal Duties and Responsibilities: Working side-by-side with experienced Alliance staff and volunteers, successful applicants will assist with or lead the Alliance’s property monitoring and land management efforts. Specifically, the successful applicant will manage the Alliance’s LANDSCAPE land conservation software, communicate with landowners and volunteer monitors, mark property boundaries, write management plans, perform tasks within these plans, control invasive species, and assist with grant development and reporting. Successful applicants will be expected to lead youth and adult volunteer groups in stewardship activities including vegetative restoration and trail maintenance.
Location and Travel: Position is based in Cross Plains but will require travel to many areas of Wisconsin. Overnight travel and camping should be anticipated, including weekends.
Start date: June 2019
Compensation: Commensurate with experience. The Alliance offers competitive compensation, an attractive benefits package – including health and dental coverage — and a collaborative work environment.
Successful applicant must:
- Have a Bachelor’s Degree in biology, natural resources, land use management, forestry or other related field or related professional experience
- Be able to perform heavy lifting of weights up to 60 pounds
- The ability to work in extreme environmental conditions, including excessive heat and cold, biting and stinging insects, and steep terrain
- Have a current and valid driver’s license
- Be self-directed, highly motivated, flexible, and detail-oriented
- General knowledge of the Land Trust Alliance’s Standards and Practices
- Experience implementing land management and ecological restoration plans
- Strong social and interpersonal skills including the ability to resolve and mediate conflict and maintain good working relationships with coworkers, volunteers, and members of the community
- Computer proficiency, including ArcGIS software
- Ability to effectively relate to a diverse range of people, including both oral and written communication skills
- General knowledge of the flora, fauna, and landscape of Wisconsin
- Experience in conservation and recreation programs
- General knowledge of conservation issues and be committed to the mission and vision of the Alliance
- Trained in First Aid and CPR, chainsaw safety, herbicide application, crew leadership and trail construction. Equipment and appropriate training will be provided.
Candidates should then send their (i) resume and (ii) cover letter stating relative experience, work ethic, career goals to the address or email below by 5:00pm on Friday, May 17, 2019.
Send materials to:
Ice Age Trail Alliance – Land Steward
Attn.: Kevin Thusius, Director of Land Conservation
PO Box 128
2110 Main Street
Cross Plains, WI 53528
Note: Email is preferred method of receiving cover letter and resume.
Download Land Steward job announcement here. [PDF]
Download Land Steward position description here. [PDF]
About the Ice Age Trail Alliance
The Ice Age Trail Alliance (Alliance) was founded in 1958 with the mission of caring for the Ice Age National Scenic Trail (Trail), one of only 11 such trails in the country. As part of its mission, the Alliance protects and manages land for the Trail. The Alliance is a national accredited land trust that has helped protect nearly 20,000 acres for the Trail. It currently holds more than 120 real estate interests covering 3,900 acres and responsibly manages these land interests. At the Alliance there is a culture that supports and inspires conservation achievements and personal development.
Statement of Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion
The Alliance is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all employees. It is our policy to seek and employ the best qualified personnel in all positions, to provide equal opportunity for advancement to all employees in a manner that will not discriminate against or give preference to any person because of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, ancestry, sexual orientation, military service, marital status, arrest or conviction record, or any other basis prohibited by state or federal law.
Further, the Alliance is committed to providing a productive work environment in which employees are treated with courtesy, respect, and dignity, and one that is free from any form of discrimination or harassment, including sexual harassment. The Alliance prohibits and will not tolerate any form of unwelcome discriminatory or harassing behavior by employees, supervisors, customers, citizens, vendors, agents, or volunteers.
Discriminatory and/or harassing behavior based on an individual’s race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, ancestry, sexual orientation, military service, marital status, arrest or conviction record, physical or mental disability, or any other basis prohibited by state or federal law violates this policy.