Mobile Skills Crew Event
Marathon County (Central Wisconsin)
October 5-11, 2020
To say the least, it’s been a weird year. With plans everchanging, we hold on to the normal activities – the ones we can still do – to anchor our lives. A constant on the Mobile Skills Crew event (MSC) calendar since 2017, trailbuilding along the Ringle Segment provides familiarity: the base camp setting, the scenery, the type of work. It’s fitting, in this discombobulated year, that we end with an old friend.
Register for the Event!
Please REGISTER by Monday, September 28th.
The National Park Service (NPS) requires every volunteer to complete a COVID-19 OF-301A Volunteer Service Agreement, whether you are a new IATA volunteer or a returning volunteer who has not yet filled out the post-March 24, 2020 version of this form.
What We’re Doing
Four productive MSC events in 2019 brought us closer to closing the gap, which exists in the three-mile-long middle section of the new Ringle Segment.
During this project, we hope to complete the missing link and open the full three miles. Tread and stonework will be the focus, along with some corridor clearing and signage for good measure.
Work begins Monday, October 5th and concludes Sunday, October 11th.
Stewardship work begins at 8:30 am and concludes about 4:30 pm daily, except Sunday, when we wrap up by noon. You are welcome to come and work one or more days of this seven-day event. Please register so we may organize the crews accordingly.
COVID-19 Safety Precautions
We’re excited to have you join us, however, please know the symptoms of the COVID-19 coronavirus and for everyone’s health and safety, be prepared to STAY HOME if you exhibit any of them.
Please visit the CDC website and view the symptoms listed there. Consider using the Self-Checker, an interactive guide, located mid-way down the page, which can help you make your decision. Go there now.
We have COVID-19 mitigation measures firmly in place. These and other changes are in effect:
1. The volunteer limit for this event is set at a maximum of 50 participants each day. You must pre-register to volunteer, and there will not be a day-of registration option. Please register by Monday, September 28th.
2. To keep workgroups small, manageable, and safe, we have organized volunteer check-in sites at three separate trailheads where friendly volunteer greeters will ask you to complete a brief self-health check and get you into the event with no wasted time.
3. Shortly after registration, you will receive a confirmation email that includes which trailhead you’ve been assigned (one of three): Poplar Lane (Site A); Hoot Owl Dr. (Site B); and CTH N (Site C). See the project area map for details. Watch for yellow “Ice Age Trail Event” signs as you arrive at your assigned trailhead.
4. We will not offer the traditional project support amenities such as food service, coffee, or group-tent gatherings.
5. If you signed up for meals on the registration page, we apologize for the change. All participants must provide their own food and beverages – snacks, breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
6. Instead of our traditional MSC-style base camp, there will only be bare-bones camping at 222780 Duncan Rd, Hatley, WI for those seeking overnight lodging.
7. Project Protocols Zoom Meeting: Please join us at 6:30 pm on Thursday, October 1st. We will present the need-to-know safety information and project details. A Zoom meeting link will arrive in your confirmation email.
What to Bring
For daily trailbuilding tasks, bring:
- Face masks, handkerchiefs, hand sanitizer
- Plan for variable weather – bring layers and rain gear
- Sturdy hiking boots, leather work gloves
- Day pack, water bottles
- Lunch and snacks
- Hat and gaiters
If tenting overnight, bring:
- Sleeping pad
- Towel & toiletries
- Cook stove
- Food, beverages & utensils
Generous Sponsors of the 2020 Mobile Skills Crew Trailbuilding Season include:
Sitka Salmon Shares is offering all Ice Age Trail enthusiasts and trailbuilders a $25.00 discount on your purchase of a salmon or seafood share. They’ll donate $25.00 to our award-winning Mobile Skills Crew program.