Position Title: Seasonal Trail Crew Leader
Compensation: $15-18/hr DOE
Duration: May – August 2019 – 640 hours
Point of Contact: Field Operations Coordinator
Location: Trail-wide locations in Northwestern/Northcentral WI
Download a complete Seasonal Trail Crew Leader Job Description [PDF].
Click here to apply. Please read full job description before filling out form.
The Crew Leader will lead and manage a crew of 3-4 young adults during a 40-hour work week to perform trail maintenance projects in remote areas along the Ice Age Trail. Scope of work includes, but is not limited to: trail maintenance and construction; mowing, brush clearing, boardwalk staging and repair. The Seasonal Trail Crew will participate in Mobile Skills Crew events.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain and construct the Trail to National Scenic Trail standards
- Be enthusiastic and willing to work and live outdoors in all weather conditions
- Develop and relay daily work plans, conduct daily safety briefings and ensure that directions are being followed
- Conduct necessary trainings including safe tool use and sustainable trail construction techniques
- Remain alert to conditions and events and anticipate needed actions
- Ensure work is being conducted efficiently, anticipate unsafe circumstances, and take precautions to prevent accidents
- Resolve conflicts among crew members, maintain a positive team environment and refer issues appropriately to immediate supervisor
- Ensure that crew members have the necessary equipment and supplies before leaving base camp and throughout the day
- Facilitate maintenance of truck, trailer, tool inventory, equipment and base camp(s)
- Maintain records of work performed and complete before and after photo documentation
- Perform related duties as required
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Three seasons experience in the trail construction, landscaping, construction or related field
- Leadership experience with youth and/or adults
- Desire to travel, camp, and work throughout Wisconsin
- Physical ability and willingness to work in adverse weather and field conditions.
- Ability to use all safety equipment
- Demonstrated ability to rely on experience, training, and independent judgment in determining how to plan and execute responsibilities in resourceful and effective ways
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to prepare effective written reports, and to work and communicate effectively with diverse groups of people, including the ability to deal courteously with the public and land users
- Effective organization skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Ability to lift 50lbs and hike up to 10 miles a day
- Personal gear required (please inquire about specific gear needs)
- Valid driver’s license and reliable personal transportation
- Have and maintain an acceptable motor vehicle record
- Legally able to work in U.S. for duration of season
- Weekends & week of 4th of July OFF
- Weekly food stipend of $50
- Workers Compensation coverage
- Training provided
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) provided
- Tools and equipment provided
- Granite Gear backpack
Applications accepted until position is filled.
Field Operations Coordinator
The Alliance is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all employees. It is our policy to seek and employ the best qualified personnel in all positions, to provide equal opportunity for advancement to all employees in a manner that will not discriminate against or give preference to any person because of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, ancestry, sexual orientation, military service, marital status, arrest or conviction record, or any other basis prohibited by state or federal law.
Further, the Alliance is committed to providing a productive work environment in which employees are treated with courtesy, respect, and dignity, and one that is free from any form of discrimination or harassment, including sexual harassment. The Alliance prohibits and will not tolerate any form of unwelcome discriminatory or harassing behavior by employees, supervisors, customers, citizens, vendors, agents, or volunteers. Discriminatory and/or harassing behavior based on an individual’s race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, ancestry, sexual orientation, military service, marital status, arrest or conviction record, physical or mental disability, or any other basis prohibited by state or federal law violates this policy.