The less-than-stellar weather, coupled with a record hatch of mosquitos, attempted to slow down the 78 dedicated volunteers at the Ringle Trailbuilding event. Over four and a half days, and through rain, mud, and clouds of bug spray, volunteers contributed 1,972 hours to open a beautiful new half-mile section of Trail. Volunteers cut and hauled lumber, built bridges, constructed rock walls, drafted blazes, crafted tread and slung rotten granite through the air via a highline to more easily – and safely – create a hardened walking surface through a moss-covered boulder field.
The stage is set, and with October rapidly approaching, we await the final act in the Reimagining of Ringle saga.
To everyone who helped make this event a success, a special thanks to:
- The Central Moraines Chapter of the Ice Age Trail Alliance for hosting the MSC event.
- Marathon County Solid Waste Department for providing a base camp location.
- Fox Cities Backpackers Meetup Group for the smiling faces and extra helping hands.
- Dan Rossiter for the use of his ATV.
- Rick and Karla Larson for roaring campfires every night.
- Jerry Sazama and Gail Piotrowski for their excellent leadership as Crew Leader Managers.
- Crew Leaders for their dedication and perseverance.
- All the new volunteers for helping out for the first time!
1,972 Volunteer Hours
1/2 mile of Trail
September 15-19, Waterville Segment, Waukesha County (Registration open.)
Join us in Waukesha County at the Waterville Segment September 15-19 to grub out new tread, build a 430 ft boardwalk, reroute small sections of existing Trail, and open a new half-mile of Trail off of busy Waterville Road.
October 5-9, Ringle Segment, Marathon County (Registration open.)
Join us in Marathon County October 5-9 for the final push to complete the reimagined Ringle Segment. Expect plenty of tread construction, a good deal of stonework as we construct monowalls and stone staircases, and maybe even a boardwalk! Finally, heaps of signage will be added to welcome hikers.
Generous Sponsors of the 2021 Mobile Skills Crew Trailbuilding Season include: