Director of Trail Operations
Tim is responsible for creating and sustaining a vision of excellence for the Ice Age National Scenic Trail while leading and managing all Trail program and related undertakings of the Ice Age Trail Alliance.
Following his thru-hike of the Ice Age National Scenic Trail in 1991 Tim’s love-affair with the Ice Age Trail was cemented. Tim joined the staff of the Alliance in 2000 as the south central regional field coordinator then added Chapter Liaison and Mobile Skills Crew Program Manager titles to his hat rack prior to becoming Director of Trail Operations in 2007.
Tim is pleased to put his entrepreneurial skills and San Francisco Art Institute and Milwaukee Area Technical College degrees in fine arts to public use by helping to design, build, conserve and protect about 200 miles of the Ice Age Trail from the ground up.
He oversees the evolution of sustainable trail planning, design, and construction of the Ice Age Trail by uniquely applying a ‘big picture’ vision coupled with meticulous attention to detail. In addition to his recognizable work in Trail Program areas, Tim’s considerable contributions behind the scenes serve the Alliance in various capacities such as policy development; partner, governmental and landowner relations; developing new avenues of operational funding; organizational governance; strategic planning; and education and outreach.
Proud moments include:
- Helping reestablish the Rock County chapter and establishing the Lodi Valley Chapter;
- Helping usher an ethos of “Trail Building is People Building” into the organizational fabric of the Alliance;
- Facilitating and observing stakeholders and volunteers as they discover their “Trail Eyes”;
- All things Mobile Skills Crew related;
- Receiving the Excellence in Staff Service Award in 2012;
- and, while thumbing through the October 2014 issue of Backpacker Magazine, seeing the Plover River Segment of the Ice Age National Scenic Trail named as one of America’s 10 Masterpiece trails.
Tim’s wife, Carlyn, volunteers, locally, as a trailwide member, and manages, with a smile, to endure Tim’s 60+ nights a year, under the stars, away from home, building trail.