If you notice any problems with the trails in the Lakeshore Chapter area (fallen trees, poor signage, etc.), please call the Ice Age Trail Alliance at 800-227-0046. We will fix the problem!
Plans for 2018, which include several opportunities for new trails, e.g., reroute/repair Schuette Park, Manitowoc; and this summer, July 19–22: (capacity 55 volunteers) at Walla Hi County Park in southwest Manitowoc County, four miles east of Kiel from Mueller Rd. into the park and out to the west to Lax Chapel Rd. See our calendar below.
Get Involved on the Trail
We schedule work days at various locations throughout the year. In addition to the group activities, we encourage people to get out onto the Trail:
- 2018 Lakeshore Calendar of Events – REV 4-2018
- Hall of Kamers [PDF] hiking award program. Note: the correct phone number for the Hall of Kamers contact, Jim Powers, is 262-388-5143.
- ColdCaching geological treasure hunt program.
- Lakeshore Chapter Minor Projects 2018–These are items mostly for our work crew who go out each week (usually a weekday) or so depending upon weather and other commitments. Contact Ken Schoenike, email@example.com
- Hiker Shuttle Service – June 2018
- Lakeshore Volunteer Interest Survey 1 2018
- Lakeshore Chapter Segment Trail Stewards
“Secret” Places to Hike in Manitowoc County
While there are a number of places to hike in Manitowoc County, Secret Manitowoc County Trails_2015 that don’t get much use.
Park Rd. Entry to Point Beach State Forest Shoreline 11/3/16
The swale that hikers must cross to get to the beach has been flooding periodically the last couple of years. We erected a 4×4 with blazes and arrows along the west edge of the swale about a hundred yards north. Walk along the west edge of the swale, not along the top of the sensitive dune. At the 4×4, hikers can hop onto a dry area and then onto the beach to proceed north (and Vice versa).
The Lakeshore Chapter was formed in 2007, when volunteers from Door, Kewaunee and Manitowoc counties and the North Kettle Moraine area merged into one chapter. Our chapter members work to support the mission and goals of the Ice Age Trail Alliance by promoting, planning, building and maintaining the Ice Age Trail from Fond du Lac County to the Eastern Terminus in Sturgeon Bay.
To get more information on chapter activities, small projects, and/or hiking the Ice Age Trail in this region, contact one of our chapter officers:
Dan Mitchell, Coordinator
1756 Beaver Dam Dr.
Green Bay, WI 54304
Jim Powers, Treasurer
N1417 Boltonville Road
Adell, WI 53001