As the 1,200-mile-long Ice Age National Scenic Trail winds through Wisconsin, it travels through remote regions of the state containing low-income counties. Yet, these areas also hold some of the state’s greatest natural beauty.
The AmeriCorps VISTA member will help create a bridge between the Ice Age Trail and the positive societal and economic impacts created when visitors visit and locals embrace the Ice Age Trail.
Activities will vary, but they will include assisting in outreach initiatives and cultivating a strong social media presence promoting the positive impacts the Ice Age Trail can have on local economies.
Americorps VISTA Intern Duties:
In tandem with the marketing and communications team, the member will:
- Identify opportunities for tourism along the Ice Age Trail in remote areas of the state, creating itineraries to highlight recreational opportunities and local businesses.
- Create a plan to promote the beauty and charm of northern Trail segments, driving awareness and tourism dollars to economically depressed counties.
- Promote the work and activities of the Ice Age Trail Alliance – trailbuilding projects, outreach events, membership drives, land protection, corporate partnerships, and fundraising initiatives – via Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter by applying best practices (persuasive copy and thoughtful design).
- Boost the Alliance’s presence on TikTok to engage the next generation of volunteers and raise awareness of the Trail.
- Create monthly blog articles, generating content related to hiking, volunteer profiles, etc.
Member will receive training in using Canva (a graphic design program) and WordPress.
90% office (40 hours a week onsite in Cross Plains, WI)
Application deadline: Monday, March 7, 2022
About the Ice Age National Scenic Trail and the Ice Age Trail Alliance
The 1,200-mile-long Ice Age National Scenic Trail is a place where all people can enjoy and embrace the unique natural landscapes and cultural histories of Wisconsin, while finding physical and mental renewal in a peaceful setting, and an enduring spiritual connection to the land.
The Ice Age Trail Alliance’s mission is to conserve, create, maintain, and promote the Ice Age National Scenic Trail.
About AmeriCorps VISTA
The mission of AmeriCorps is to improve lives, strengthen communities, and foster civic engagement through service and volunteering. Since 1965, over 220,000 AmeriCorps members in the VISTA program have joined the fight against poverty by helping local organizations expand their capacity to make change. The VISTA program serves in each of the 50 U.S. states and in all U.S. territories.
Through capacity building activities such as fundraising, grant writing, research, and volunteer recruitment AmeriCorps members in the VISTA program serve in an office setting and gain experience and leadership skills. This opportunity prepares members for a life of service in the public, private, or nonprofit sector. Learn more here.
About Stewards Individual Placement Program
Stewards Individual Placement Program is a program of Conservation Legacy that places individuals across the nation in projects that build capacity, improve access to natural resources, develop and support innovative solutions, develop opportunities for service and economic development, and empower leaders.
Stewards AmeriCorps VISTA Members serve with nonprofits, local governments and federal agencies. Stewards AmeriCorps VISTA Members commit to serving for one year — earning a living allowance of 110% of the poverty wages in the community they serve. These dedicated individuals focus on nonprofit leadership development by building capacity through grant writing and partnership development, conduct outreach and education, promote economic development and foster environmental stewardship. Learn more here.